top of page

Secure Your Future with NPS: A Comprehensive Guide to Retirement Planning

National Pension Scheme (NPS) is a voluntary, defined contribution pension system launched by the Government of India. It aims to provide individuals with a pension income after retirement. Here is a detailed explanation of NPS.

Retirement Planning
Smooth Retirement sailing

Explanation of National Pension Scheme (NPS) Retirement Planning:

1. NPS Objective:

The primary objective of NPS is to promote retirement savings and provide individuals with a regular income stream during their post-retirement planning years.

2. Regulatory Authority:

The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) regulates and supervises the NPS.

3. Eligibility:

NPS is open to all citizens of India, including salaried employees, self-employed individuals, and Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) aged between 18 and 65 years.

4. Tier Structure: NPS operates through two tiers:

a. Tier 1 Account: This is the primary retirement planning account with a long-term lock-in period and certain restrictions on withdrawal. It is mandatory to open a Tier 1 account to avail tax benefits.

b. Tier 2 Account: This is an optional investment account with a shorter lock-in period and greater flexibility for withdrawals.

5. Investment Options: NPS offers two investment choices:

a. Active Choice: Under this option, subscribers can allocate their funds across various asset classes, including equity, corporate bonds, and government securities, based on their risk appetite.

b. Auto Choice: This option offers an automatic lifecycle-based portfolio where the asset allocation is determined based on the subscriber's age. It starts with a higher equity allocation and gradually shifts towards safer options as the subscriber approaches retirement Planning.

6. Pension Fund Managers (PFMs):

NPS allows subscribers to choose from multiple PFMs, which are registered with PFRDA. These PFMs manage the investment of the subscribers based on their chosen investment option.

7. Tax Benefits:

NPS provides tax benefits to individuals under different sections of the Income Tax Act:

a. Tax Deduction: Contributions made by an individual towards their NPS account are eligible for tax deductions under Section 80CCD(1) of the Income Tax Act, subject to specified limits.

b. Additional Tax Deduction: An additional tax deduction is available for contributions made towards the NPS account, up to a limit of Rs. 50,000, under Section 80CCD(1B).

c. Exempt-Exempt-Tax (EET) Framework: NPS follows the EET taxation regime, which means the contributions and accumulation are tax-exempt, but the withdrawal portion is taxable.

8. Withdrawal and Annuity Options:

On reaching the age of 60, NPS subscribers can withdraw a maximum of 60% of the accumulated corpus as a lump sum. The remaining 40% must be utilized to purchase an annuity plan from a PFRDA-approved insurance provider. The annuity provides a regular pension income to the subscriber.

9. Portability:

NPS offers portability, allowing subscribers to shift their NPS accounts across various PFMs or change their investment options as per their preferences.

10. Online Accessibility:

NPS provides online access to subscribers for managing their accounts, checking statements, making contributions, and tracking investment performance.

Summarizing NPS:

- Voluntary, defined contribution pension system

- Regulated by PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority)

- Open to all Indian citizens aged 18 to 65

- Tier 1 account (mandatory) with long-term lock-in period

- Tier 2 account (optional) with shorter lock-in period and more flexibility

- Active Choice and Auto Choice investment options

- Multiple Pension Fund Managers (PFMs) to choose from

- Tax benefits under Section 80CCD(1) and Section 80CCD(1B)

- 60% lump sum withdrawal and 40% for annuity purchase at retirement

- Portability allows shifting of accounts and investment options

- Online accessibility for managing accounts and tracking performance.


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page